Monday, August 15, 2011

How to Turn Babette Blanket Squares into a Babette Squares Scarf

Babette Squares Scarf - flip side
Babette Squares Scarf
    

















My Babette Blanket squares had been sitting in a knitting bag for a really, really long time (April 2008!) My initial excitement about the project was long gone. I really didn't like the yarn, Plymouth Encore DK, because it was just to acryllic-y. And when I blocked the squares to get them to a place where they could actually be sew together the fabric seemed way too thin for a blanket or afghan.

Fortunately, at just about that time the Shanghai Guild, a group of devoted knitters and crocheters who meet weekly in Shanghai to make items for a variety of charities had a call fro scarves for a local senior center. I gathered up the squares I had and made a scarf.

If you want the original pattern for the Babette Blanket it was in the Interweave Crochet Spring 2006 edition. You can download it here for $6. If you want to make the whole blanket that would be a good option as it will give you the layout & how many squares you need.

If you want to save the $6 and know a bit about crocheting granny squares you can do it on your own. Using any granny square pattern make the following squares:

12 round squares: 1
8 round squares: 2
6 round squares: 9
4 round squares: 14
2 round squares: 17

(i.e. Do rounds one and two of your pattern and make 17 squares like that, alternating color combos in a random way. Do rounds 1 through 4 and make 14 squares like that, etc.)

Upload a pdf diagram of square placement.

For a crochet square pattern that looks a lot like the square in Babette Gramma Cookie's has one that looks very similar to me (I haven't tried the pattern myself so can't tell you how well it works.)

On the scarf pictured above, after I'd stitched it together, using black yarn, I did a row of single crochet all around, then did a round of ch5, sk3, ch5.

For alternate edgings, I heartily recommend Edie Eckman's book, Around the Corner.

Have a look at my posting that sharestips and techniques for working wtih Babette squares.




No comments:

Post a Comment